Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Installation is a Pain

I actually had a chance to try installing the game on Windows today. Did not go very smoothly. To circumvent the problem I have once again updated installation instructions and separated instructions for Linux and Windows this time. I just included all the necessary installers in the Windows package. With Linux users, I trust their ability to use their package managers to get what they need. I have no idea about the Mac installation process. I'll get on top of that later.

So I guess the next thing I'll be doing with this project is to package it up better. For Windows users I will make use of py2exe and then create an installer that gets all the necessities. For Linux I will make rpm and deb packages, which I hope will cover most distributions. I'll have to figure out what's the Mac equivalent of these. That means I have to steal someone's Mac for a while...

In good news tonight, I think I just tackled one big design problem yesterday. I'll tell more about it when I'm ready to release the next version, which will be 1.10 to indicate an actual gameplay change.

No comments:

Post a Comment